Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sowings, plantings

Last weekend, I sowed (indoors) 3 types of saved tomato seeds from last year; Black Krim, Green Zebra and Yellow potato-leaf brandywine. Also some white sage (also home-saved), Cilantro (I now have three sowings of Cilantro coming up) and Summer Savory. I have never grown summer Savory before, so this will be interesting.
All seeds are now sprouting; the sage and savory were up after about 5 days, and the others are barely poking through today.

Yesterday I bought some tomatoes at the garden center, as I got the sudden feeling that I might be getting behind (I had gone to buy some bush bean seeds). I also found topsy turvy planters in Rite-aid, and bought three given how successful this had been last year (double the crop of a soil-grown twin, easier to pick, and no staking required).

The tomatoes, (planted today from strong small plants) are potato-leaved red brandywine, Black from Tula (Indet.) and potato-leaved yellow brandywine (I really loved this last year, although the tomatoes were few and far between; the fruit were huge and the flavor magnificent).
I'll be picking up some more soon enough. Possibly even a green-zebra, despite my having germinating seed. Next year, I really should sow my tomatoes indoors and early - maybe mid-Jan?

First flowers this week on sugar snap peas (first sowing) and Broad (Fava) Beans (first sowing).

In wild, drought-resistant garden in front, Scilla Siberica flowering, California Poppy about to.

No comments:

Post a Comment