Friday, April 2, 2010

Peas


Well, so much for 2 and a half feet. My peas, sown around Xmas, are now so high that I'm looking up at them, at least 7 feet high, and possibly higher if you stretched them out. They're still setting flowers, so I can look forward to more peas in weeks to come. For a short row (about 5 feet), I'm getting an OK yield, 3 portions so far, but I have to say that the flavor isnt what I remember; next year I'll try Hurst "Green Shaft", the variety I'm more accustomed to. Maybe I just undercooked them - I just gave them a couple of minutes on the boil. Next week I'll try cooking them a bit longer.

The big mistake I made with these peas was (a) not planting enough - I should have used the full 10-foot length of the bed, and (b) I should have planted the peas (taller) on the north side of the bed, not the south, as they are shading everything else.

The yellow and white flowers you can see at the left are some mesclun lettuce-like thing and rocket, respectively. Under the peas, you can see more salads and above those, some garlic (doing well). At the right, a Kohl Rabi from the supermarket is providing sprouting broccoli-type greens. To the left of the rocket, you cant really see, but there are 2 rows of carrots and I have planted out a green pepper and a habanero.

No comments:

Post a Comment