Thursday, April 1, 2010

Zucchini ready for planting out shortly



After the slugs got my purchased Zucchini plants, I sowed some seeds in Jiffy plugs inside, where they sprouted rapidly. On the weekend, I transferred them to pots, where they are currently putting on their first true leaves. The corn and sunflowers I sowed about a week later are currently germinating, and I'm in the process of putting the corn in the bed next to the house wall at the moment. My plan is to shade my window and keep some of the summer heat out, and at the same time to use the corn as support for some runner beans I will sow later. The Sunflowers I'll put against the neighbours fence, again as support for more runner beans. At the base of both, I plan to plant other vegetables, either lettuce or swiss chard (I have transplants waiting to go of both), or the zucchini. This squash/corn/bean combo is an ancient Indian trick, as the beans fertilize the ground, the squash shades it, and the corn provides support for the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment