Friday, September 9, 2011

Brussels Sprouts woes

On the down side, Nature has thrown nearly all it has against the Brussels Sprouts; the first planting has somewhat lacy leaves, and the second planting has also seen some attacks. First it was the birds pecking the leaves (I put up netting), then I see some slug trails (did I wrongly accuse the birds? I think not because I saw them flying up from there and I know they eat the Sunflowers and Zucchini) and finally there are a few Cabbage White butterflies decorating the underside of the leaves with eggs. I put up some birdscarers, bought some new slug poison (Metaldehyde seems to work best, the one poison I will be using apart from peach leaf spray) and have been brushing off the butterfly eggs and killing the parents by splatting them. Three so far. Sometimes they come in pairs, and I only manage to kill one, so I feel a bit guilty as its partner will be lonesome, but goddammit, keep off my veg!
Or Else.
So far, I havent had club root. Touch wood on this one.

The plants seem to be surviving and developing, so hopefully they will get past these trials soon enough. I have more plantings to follow as soon as the ground opens up.

No comments:

Post a Comment