Monday, September 26, 2011

Winter Tomatoes

I cant say I'm optimistic, but seeing something labelled "Winter Tomatoes" at our local garden center sparked my curiosity enough to buy it. Apparently these varieties (the one I bought is "Siberian") set fruit down to about 40°F - that's a couple of degrees above freezing in Centigrade - but I can only imagine that the taste will be dreadful. Still, they are also bred to fruit rapidly, so maybe they will develop before things get really dark. If they are successful, I should be able to extend the tomato season by a couple of months either side, we shall see.
The main tomato crop is still coming in, but the fruit, taking far longer to ripen, tend to be soft, mushy and not as good as they were. OK for sauce though. I've also dried a massive jar of dried tomatoes by now, probably equivalent to 20 pounds or more of fresh fruit. So if these "winter tomatoes" dont work out, I'll still be OK for winter lycopene.

No comments:

Post a Comment