Friday, September 2, 2011

Fall seeding


Above, I'm sundrying some of the August crop of tomatoes. This year, August appears to have been the glut month for tomatoes, and I have been freezing tomato sauce, sundrying, and giving tomatoes away to anyone who dares come near.
Sun drying seems to work here, but its clear from a failed experiment last week that you need to take all the seeds out and get down to a thin shell (otherwise they grow something that looks like either bacteria or yeast - undoubtedly unhealthful.

Above is what I assume to be "Omar's Lebanese", although I didnt label this one. The closest alternative is "Black Krim", but this plant seemed much more like the one "Omar" that was labeled. On average, the fruit are 1 lb each.

Today I cleanout out the Zucchini from the morning shade bed - they hadnt been doing much for a while anyway. In went a few buckets of homemade compost, and despite my desire not to dig, I lightly spaded it in. The soil had a fairly good crumby texture. The compost dug in last year seems to be doing something useful.
Threw some "Tom Thumb" lettuce, "Kuroda" Carrot and "French Breakfast" radish on, a little old potting soil on top, and watered it all in. I'm not expecting much from the carrots, given past experience, but maybe the improved soil and fall planting will make a difference. Time will tell.

Bought a dehydrator today, lets see if its useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment